Monday 16 May 2011

Day 4 - String mutes and slides

That blues riff is still kicking my ass. I think the problem is that I'm not comfortable fretting without looking where my fingers are going yet, I need to be able to feel my way to the correct notes instead of relying on visual cues. I guess these things take time.

Moving on, the game introduced a couple of new techniques in the next lesson - string mutes and slides. The technology started showing its limitations here a bit. Apparently a string mute means lightly touching a string with the fretting hand to stop it vibrating, but the in-game instructions weren't very clear about what was required. Furthermore, the game can't actually detect a string mute so it allows any note, including open and fretted making it really hard to figure out what you are supposed to do. Again, I had to go on the internet and find out what a string mute was (and found a few people discussing the same game limitation); I really wish some of the instructions were a bit more detailed at times.

Slides involve moving your finger down the string while held down; these were pretty tricky to pull off and left my fingers feeling a bit tender after a while - I had string shaped indentations in the tip of my finger for a while after. I guess this is where the callouses I've read about come into play - bring on the hard skin!

No comments:

Post a Comment